Trapper Forum

discussion forum

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 15, 2016 15:55:30

rpitman
Profile   Send e-mail  

TRAPPER and Zooniverse

It would be hugely beneficial if classifications generated via Zooniverse (e.g., Snapshot Serengeti, Camera CATalogue) could be imported into TRAPPER. This way researchers using both platforms could benefit from having an autonomous cataloging (i.e., via TRAPPER) and data capture (i.e., via Zooniverse) workflow. Since both platforms are open source, this feature could greatly advance camera-trapping research–and thus wildlife conservation.

#2 April 16, 2016 00:16:39

kbubnicki
Profile   Send e-mail  

TRAPPER and Zooniverse

This is a very cool idea that can be implemented relatively easy (at least I hope). Maybe somebody from the Zooniverse, Snapshot Serengeti or Camera CATalogue here?

#3 April 16, 2016 11:10:45

rpitman
Profile   Send e-mail  

TRAPPER and Zooniverse

I'm currently working on developing Camera CATalogue with the Zooniverse team based out of Oxford, UK. Camera CATalogue is Panthera's (www.panthera.org) global version of Snapshot Serengeti. It's being sent for beta release in the next few weeks, after which it should hopefully be open the the public. As far as I understand things, once classifications are made via Zooniverse, we can export a CSV file detailing all the classifications made by volunteers. It's that CSV file that I think TRAPPER would need to import. I can get an example of the CSV file as soon as Camera CATalogue has been live for a few weeks, if that helps? The cool thing about Zooniverse is that it links directly to Amazon S3. So we upload our camera-trap images to Amazon S3 and feed those data directly into Camera CATalogue. As mentioned in another feature request, it would be really neat if TRAPPER had a similar ‘link’ to Amazon S3.

#4 April 16, 2016 15:08:50

demo-admin
Profile   Send e-mail  

TRAPPER and Zooniverse

Sounds good and doable. Trapper has 2 options to import already classified data (in csv): 1) using web interface and 2) using API. All we would have to do is to write a proper parser/translator of Zooniverse's CSV into Trapper's CSV. More work would be needed to make Trapper supporting Amazon S3 but this is also doable.

Board footer

Moderator control