Trapper Forum

discussion forum

• You are not logged in.

#1 April 15, 2016 16:04:16

rpitman
Profile   Send e-mail  

Paired camera stations

Many researchers/NGO's use paired stations when setting up camera-trapping surveys. This is particularly relevant for identifiable species that require both sides of the flank to be photographed (e.g., leopard, tiger, jaguar, hyaena species). It appears TRAPPER is unable to pair images together using each image's metadata? If I've missed this, then I apologies, but I haven't seen this functionality yet. An excellent example of camera pairing can be seen when using Camerabase (Tobler 2016). Without this feature TRAPPER wouldn't be useable for research projects using these study designs.

#2 April 15, 2016 19:41:05

mchurski
Profile   Send e-mail  

Paired camera stations

Paired designs are not specifically developed in Trapper yet, indeed. However, the ‘sequencing’ feature can help to pair the images based on metadata, I think. Something to test. Anyway, thanks for great suggestions!

Edited mchurski (April 15, 2016 19:44:23)

#3 April 16, 2016 00:10:37

kbubnicki
Profile   Send e-mail  

Paired camera stations

Indeed this is an important feature that Trapper is missing at the moment. However, I think that it should not be a big problem to implement it within the existing data model. I have some ideas but also have a very little time at the moment. If anybody can help with this I can give some introduction to the internal architecture of Trapper.

#4 April 16, 2016 11:23:18

rpitman
Profile   Send e-mail  

Paired camera stations

I'm keen to help out, but unfortunately my Python coding skills are non-existent. Happy to help where I can though (i.e., discussions, testing, etc). Interested to know more about this ‘sequencing’ feature (but need to get a TRAPPER project up and running first!).

Board footer

Moderator control